Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The domestic goddess

I've been looking at these for ages. They have tempted me and intrigued me and I knew I just had to try them. What are they? Cupcake pops! Yes, candy covered cake truffles that are to die for! I found them on Bakerella who is the queen of these little beauties and has even been featured on Martha Stewart for them. Click here for her tutorial on how to make them and enjoy my attempt. I used a box mix for the red velvet and canned frosting which I usually hate but I was pressed for time since I was doing these for my daughter's class party the next day. This is a time consuming project but worth every minute!



Big bowl of red mush - red velvet cake crumbled with a can of cream cheese frosting! I could have sat there and eaten the entire bowl but I had a job to do!
Best thing to come out of my daughter's Easy Bake Oven - perfect sized heart cookie cutter

I got lazy after doing enough for her class and just rolled balls with the rest of the dough. One batch makes about 50 or so truffles! I stuck them in the freezer for about 30 minutes before dipping. You may want to wear gloves while doing this. I ended up with pink hands.

Dipped in white Wilton's Candy Melts and covered in sprinkles! I just melted the candy in the microwave in 30 second increments. Dipped the pops and then put them in the fridge to cool.

Wrapped in a small treat bag & tied with a bow! Happy Valentine's Day!

These are delicious! Very moist cake center coupled with the crunchy candy coating. Perfection! The supplies are super easy to find too. I found all the ingredients, lolly-pop sticks, candy coating - everything at Walmart! They have an entire Wilton's section! Who knew?!












3 comments:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Those are so cute! I love cake balls!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Thanks for the comment on my new blog! :)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Hey! It's been way too long! Where are you????